Tattoos start to heal in one to four days and are fully healed in about two weeks. First a scab forms. It may be very light and almost seem like the healed tattoo. But usually a crustier scab forms and begins to crack and peel in four days. Don’t pick at it because if you make the scab bleed the colour will come out in that spot for sure and the risk of infection will increase.
AFTERCARE FOR YOUR TATTOO
- Remove bandage after a few hours, but don’t leave it on overnight.
- Wash with warm water and mild soap. Do not scrub, go easy on your skin.
- Apply a thin coat of unscented moisturizer or a product specifically for tattoo aftercare (e.g. Tattoo Goo or Hustle Butter) 3-4 times daily for the first 5-7 days.
- As long as the tattoo is still an open wound, make sure it is clean by carefully washing it daily with mild soap.
- After 5-7 days use an unscented lotion as needed.
DO NOT: pick, soak, or take advice from your “buddy.”
While a lot of bad tattoos are the result of bad artists, you can ruin a tattoo just as easily by not taking proper care.